Saturday, December 25, 2004

Random RP Ideas

I'm a highly functional geek, so I think quite a bit about potental campaigns (mostly d20 games) I would like to run. So in an effort to have them all written down in some fashion, here they are in no particular order.

- Fantasy Superheros: Either using a very loose interpretation of Celtic mythology, and or Atlantis Myths, have superheroes running around in a medieval era. I would use the "Mutants and Masterminds" rules, and possibly divide powers up based on what "race" a player was. Such as, Magic (Wizards and the like, a human who has the stuff to work magic, ergo superpowers), Fair Folk/Tuatha De Dannan (Basically Faeries, who would be pretty scary, likely have a lot of the combat powers), Formorians (Likely a "bad" race who could not be NPCs, simular powers to Tuatha but have a few of the more "evil" ones all to themselves).

- Tolkien-esque D&D: Make pretty substantial changes to the races of D&D. Elves would become more Telepathic, and possibly use Psionics instead of magic. Dwarves I think I would make more "earth based" although they are pretty close to Tolkien as is, can't tweak Elves and leave Dwarves alone that wouldn't be fair. I would likely ditch the stonecutting powers as they are kinda lame, give them a bonus to their armor class because they are just so "rock like," and I'm not sure what else. Gnomes would go the way of the dodo. Half-elves would be rare and different. Like Elrond and his brother Elros who must choose which race they would belong to, Elven or Human. Although if they went with Human they would live a long time.

- Any of the Above With Cthulhu: Now I don't mean something Lovecraft-esque, I mean balls to the walls frelling Cthulhu is sleeping in R'lyeh, Ithiqua is roaming around in the north converting people and taking them away sometimes, deep-ones breeding with people and making evil fish people, and the Burrowers Beneath have escaped the city of G'harne.

- Any of the Above With Lovecraft-esque Elements: I got the furthest on this idea with the Tolkien D&D thing. Instead of a "Sauron" I went with the idea that there was a "Cthulhu" in the setting. Some monsterous old god-like thing, which is either dead or horribly imprisoned, but still able to screw around with people and things. I was going to have REALLY twisted monsters show up. Basically the evil that Sauron represents in LoTR would be replaced with madness and chaos that is the great old ones. This would have really twisted the setting around, because the idea is that all Clerics are actually evil worshipers of the Old Ones. So healing would fall on the shoulders of the Druids... I also toyed with the idea of ripping the Mystic out of Dragonlance and saying Mystics had a connection with the egmatic Elder Gods, and Clerics worshiped the evil old ones. But who knows.

- Farscape: This goes WAAYYY back, but I wrote out a campaign that I'm still rather fond of for a Farscape RPG. Basically the players would all wake up in a leviathian, with a deserted Peacekeeper base nearby, and no idea how they got there. I was going to mostly deal with the life cycle of Leviathians in the first arc, and the bad guys were going to be Leviathian hunters.

- d20 Future: This could go a lot of ways. The idea is that humanity either discovered, or created a "Hyperspace Webway." Which basically there are jump gates scattered in systems, which were used for FTL travel. Then for whatever reason the Webway gets destroyed and for whatever reason it cannot be rebuilt, and the human colonies are left to fend for themselves. Some obscene amout of time later, like 10,000 years perhaps, a group of Colonies manages to discover a way to travel faster than light without the Webway. So they set about exploring the universe once again, and find out how humanity has changed in the last 10,000 years, and let me tell you, they changed in bizarre ways. I have toyed with this idea for a Mecha, Wing Commander, and a ship with a few crew members, games. Also there would be no aliens in this setting, every race encountered would be humans, or at least at one time they were human.

- Aredun Revisited: In my Wizards of the Coast days, I professionally ran a game of D&D in a world of my own creation. The name was Aredun, and within it I began toying with ideas which I have refined much more in my old age. This idea is to revisit and reimagine the setting. Changing the elements that didn't work the first time, and playing up the ideas that did work the first time. I have even toyed around with this with the "Tolkien" D&D thing.

- Standard D&D Races & Feats, Arcana Unearthed Classes: I like the rules in Arcana Unearthed, but I hate the setting. Again this mostly tied into a more "Tolkien" D&D setting.

- Mage the Awakening: I loved Mage the Ascension, can't hardly wait for the new game in April or May. Would love to run it. I also have toyed with the idea of dusting Changeling the Dreaming off and giving it another go. Although I would probably have to convert Changeling to d20 modern.

Thats all folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home