I was disapointed with "Lord of the Rings; Return of the King; Extended Edition." Basically I thought the footage they added was kinda... unneeded. Probably because Return of the King got 30min of extra footage, all the scenes that just had to be in the movie made it, and everything else is just fluff. Major spoilers on new footage to follow, read at your own risk.
1) Sauraman dying was REALLY dark. Especially with Treebeards comment. All in all, it's probably the only scene that probably should have made it into the movie originally, with the exception of Gandalf facing the witch king... but that is getting ahead of myself. Anyhoo this version was REALLY REALLY dark, and changed the tone of the opening in possibly a bad way, although it would have been rad to see in the theaters.
2) Merry & Eowyn in route to Minis Tirith was not needed as well. Merry didn't say anything interesting, and neither did Eowyn.
3) Merry getting knighted as a Squire of Rohan would have been a nice little bit to see, but oh well. Didn't do much for the story, but didn't take away from it as well.
4) More of Denenthor acting crazy... but again they never come out and say he used a Palantir like the book does, so it's just more of him acting crazy for no reason, and nothing added to the plot.
5) Pippin telling Denenthor more about how Boramir died... iffy on this, but all in all doesn't add to the plot or take it away. But it is kinda sweet. Infact I will go with all of the added footage of Pippin just makes him more cute and slightly more well rounded, but not so much so that I really missed it.
6) More character between Gimli and Legolas... again doesn't do anything really.
7) More in the Caverns of the Dead. I liked what they added in the beginning, but the shower of skulls was beyond cheesy. I liked it better when you didn't know the ghosts agreed to fight and you found out at a REALLY dark time in the battle. Knowing what was about to happen took away from what the Ghosts did I think. And although Aragorn stopping the ships with "this army" was funny. I actually liked the Theatrical Cut better in this regard.
8) The Mouth of Sauron. It was cheesy, and didn't really do anything. But god damn that guy was creepy. They should have kept it in, it would have made the whole battle that much more creepy and desperate.
9) Gandalf facing the Witchking and getting his staff broken. Honestly I didn't notice it was missing until I realised it got broken. Considering it was like a minute I think they could have put it in. Made the battle seem more desperate.
So in a perfect world, you would see Sauraman defeated, Gandalf getting his staff broken, and the Mouth of Sauron, added into the Theatrical cut of the movie. Which would have made it like 10 min longer, and made the battle of Pelenor fields seem MUCH more desperate. All in all I like the Theatrical Cut better, which is amazing for me to say because I loved the two previous Extended Editions so much more than the original. Mostly my problem is with the way they handled the Ghosts, if they hadn't added all that in I think I would have been much happier with it. But the Ghosts revealed in Pelenor and not before made that battle much more intense. Oh well... frell me dead that Mouth of Sauron is creepy.


1 Comments:
Wow I have no idea who the hell you are, or why you are commenting on my blog. But thank you for the angry comment. I think I would me more tickled pink by it, but I had a long day of retail hell so I'm more amused than tickled pink. Anyhoo my surly friend, this crud is MY OPINION. I didn't ask for advice, about what I should do with my Extended Edition, and in general I'm rather fond of Extended Editions. I simply gave my opinion of it. My opinion is the previous Extended Editions added to the story, this one seemed to only make it longer. And I explained why.
Anyhoo if you feel the urge to comment, please be nice about it, and don't pick on Farscape.
Post a Comment
<< Home